Saturday, May 28, 2011

Update on dead computer

I priced out a new cpu, motherboard and ram and I _really_ don't want to buy that right now when I need to be saving money for Dexter investments. So I did some more troubleshooting on my current hardware.

I swapped out the following parts:
- video card
- power supply (which was a pain!)

I removed all cards except for the video card. I removed most of the RAM.

So I've narrowed the problem down to the motherboard, CPU, or the memory and I am really pointing the finger squarely at the motherboard.

So the cheapest option right now seems to be to get a "new" motherboard that supports my older components (DDR2 memory and core2 duo CPU). I could get the same motherboard I currently have or I could try for something newer that is targeted toward legacy stuff which might have more bugs worked out of it.

My current motherboard is an ASUS P5NE SLI (and I have never used the SLI feature). It mostly works well and I definitely use the firewire port on it but other than that any motherboard that supports the memory configuration and CPU would do. Oh, my CPU is a core 2 duo E6760. And my memory is PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz. Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment