Trying to troubleshoot Star Rider was hard enough without trying to decode the laserdisc commands "by hand." I wrote a custom analyzer for my Saleae Logic 16 to decode the commands automatically:
Sunday, February 26, 2017
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
It started innocently enough... the 'DISC SEARCH' test wasn't working and I wanted to fix this. Eventually, I ended up creating a custom PCB in conjunction with an xbox 360 wireless controller just to get the dang test working :)
I use a (IMO) very cool troubleshooting technique involving the ROM program disassembly and a logic analyzer to track the issue down.
Friday, February 17, 2017
Monday, February 13, 2017
Warren hacked up an Arduino to allow a playstation 2 controller to hook up to Star Rider. I am having trouble getting this working, so I reprogrammed the Arduino with the original PS2 example code which uses serial output to show what's going on. The only problem is I don't have a USB to 5V TTL adapter. So I thought about what I did have. I had a Papilio One FPGA dev board with a USB connection on it. I could program the FPGA to just pass the RX/TX signals through two of its I/O pins. However, this uses 3.3V, not 5V. So I couldn't just plug it directly into the Arduino. I needed something to shift the voltage level. Then I remembered my Disk ][ breakout board which I hadn't yet soldered up. This board does exactly what I need! So I ended up hooking the Arduino up to the Disk ][ breakout board to convert the 5V TTL to 3.3V TTL and then hooking that up to my Papilio One which is hooked up to my desktop. It works! :)
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Saturday, February 4, 2017
I made a new 25 minute video showing me troubleshooting and eventually fixing a problem with Steve Bower's Star Rider PIF board, after going down several wrong paths.
This hardware is incredibly difficult to keep running :)