Monday, February 13, 2017

Hacks to troubleshoot Star Rider controls I/O problem

Warren hacked up an Arduino to allow a playstation 2 controller to hook up to Star Rider.  I am having trouble getting this working, so I reprogrammed the Arduino with the original PS2 example code which uses serial output to show what's going on.  The only problem is I don't have a USB to 5V TTL adapter.  So I thought about what I did have.  I had a Papilio One FPGA dev board with a USB connection on it.  I could program the FPGA to just pass the RX/TX signals through two of its I/O pins.  However, this uses 3.3V, not 5V.  So I couldn't just plug it directly into the Arduino.  I needed something to shift the voltage level.  Then I remembered my Disk ][ breakout board which I hadn't yet soldered up.  This board does exactly what I need!  So I ended up hooking the Arduino up to the Disk ][ breakout board to convert the 5V TTL to 3.3V TTL and then hooking that up to my Papilio One which is hooked up to my desktop.  It works! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment