Saturday, April 17, 2021

Dragon's Lair Power Supply Replacement

 I recently followed Shaun Wood's excellent guide to creating a modern replacement for the Dragon's Lair power supply.

After some minor failures, I got it working with a few tweaks to his instructions:

  • The J2 (aka "P2" on his page) connector should have the black wire on pin 1, not the white.  So the pattern should go black, white, black, white instead of white, black, white, black.  This is to be consistent with the internal wiring my both my Dragon's Lair and Space Ace cabinets.  Since it is AC power, polarity may not matter for performance, but for safety it could be important.
  • To minimize observed monitor noise, tie FG and GND together.  Thanks to Brad Oldham for the suggestion.  Here is a random thread I found on the internet on the subject.  Without doing this, my monitor picture was significantly noisy.
  • Model of power supply that I ended up using successfully is Arcity MIN HONG MH-120N-R3 which can be currently purchased from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RT54H9V/


No comments:

Post a Comment